Seafood Species Definitions
(Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) : FARM RAISED
Creative Salmon originally followed more traditional and widely-used salmon farming techniques. But in 2001, the company switched to more natural practices, drastically reducing additives and chemicals in its processes. In 2012, Creative Salmon decided to take its dedication to quality and sustainability one step further and applied for organic certification under the standards newly set out by the Canadian General Standards Board and became the first salmon farming company in North America to achieve organic certification.
Their practices include:
- Raising only a Pacific species of fish in the Pacific Ocean.
- No use of genetically modified organisms or growth-promoting hormones.
- A natural diet sourced only from fisheries that conform to the standards and principles contained in the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries.
- No use of antibiotics in their market fish. Because Chinook salmon are indigenous to the area, and through good husbandry practices, they remain healthy without the use of antibiotics. Creative Salmon has not treated their market fish with antibiotics since 2001.
- Handling our fish as little as possible to minimize stress and possible mortality. Instead of handling, they monitor the fish with underwater cameras and generally don’t touch them between smolt stage and harvest.
- Providing the Kings with a low density environment. To qualify as organic, our farm-raised salmon must have about twice the space as on conventional farms. Our fish occupy less than 1% of the volume of their pens at maximum density, which occurs only during the 2 to 3 months prior to harvest.
The flavor and texture of Creative Salmon’s Kings is full, rich and pronounced with a buttery and delicate texture and large, soft flakes. Salmon is extremely versatile in the kitchen (hence it’s great popularity) and is delicious as fillet or steak cut pan fried, steamed, grilled skin on, poached and braised. Fresh salmon is also served sashimi style, and is of course wonderful when cold or hot smoked.
Creative Salmon Kings typically weigh about 12 pounds each and ship fresh, head on.
Harvest Region : Tofino, British Columbia – CANADA (West of Vancouver Island)
Seasonality: Year Round
Yield (Fillet Percentage): 65-70%
Flavor Profile: Rich, Buttery and Full
Texture Profile: Moderately Firm; Delicate with Large Flakes
- Atlantic Salmon
- Arctic Char